Wednesday, October 19, 2005

body clock

woke up at 2am here in amherst after a long flight from manila. i immediately dozed off once my body got in contact with the bed, after repeatedly telling my colleagues that i was feeling neither tired nor sleepy. guess i was really tired after 16+ hours in the air, alternating between sleep and food and movies on the plane.

by far that was the longest flight i have ever taken, but i never really felt the hours pass by until i landed in nagoya, detroit, and finally hartford. that was when i turned my phone on (i don't have wrist watches), and when the captain reported what the local time was.

i left manila at 7am, october 18, and i landed in hartford, connecticut (30-minute drive from where i am now) at 330pm, october 18. in the middle of those hours, i experienced nighttime and dawn on the plane, and and had an entire day's meal, with snacks, on the northwest flight.

that was weird, to say the least. i mean, we all hear of jet lag and time differences, and all that. but actually experiencing one is really weird. which is why i kept telling my colleagues that i was feeling neither tired nor sleepy. i felt like i left this morning and got here in the mid-afternoon.

then, my body just shut down, and i was off to sleep. when i woke up to a chilly air this morning, i realized i didn't even change clothes (i still had my shoes on), and didn't even pull up the blankets. checked my phone, and it wasn't even close to dawn.

i knew then my body clock was messed up. now i have to force it to sync with the local time.

No comments: